Edale Mountain Rescue Team have 5 callouts within 24 hours

It was a very busy couple of days for Edale Mountain Rescue Team this weeked (8/9th April) when the team attended 5 incidents within 24 hours.

In the first incident the team was called to attend a fallen boulderer at the plantation boulders at Stanage. The young man had unfortunately fallen awkwardly, dislocating his knee. An EMAS paramedic was rapidly on scene, followed by team members. Painkillers were administered, the dislocation reduced and the leg splinted. The casualty was then carried off to the car park to be taken to hospital by ambulance.

On Sunday the team was called to three seperate incidents.

Initially the team was called by the police to assist in the rescue of a fallen mountain biker with a leg injury in the upper Derwent valley, assisting Woodhead Mountain Rescue Team. However, prior to deployment on to the hill the team was re-tasked to another fallen mountain biker with a neck injury nearer to their location. Team members were able to access the biker rapidly and assess their injuries. As a second Land Rover made its way round the east side track they were flagged down for a further fallen mountain biker with a shoulder injury.

The first biker was dealt with by Woodhead MRT and Yorkshire Air Ambulance the second casualty with the neck injury was handed over to the ambulance service and the third casualty was evacuated by mountain rescue ambulance to the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield.

Finally, on the Sunday evening the team was asked by Buxton Mountain Rescue Team if they could have a few extra hands with an incident ongoing in Upper Crowden Brook, on Kinder Scout. A walker had fallen, sustaining a painful leg injury.

Three team members at base tidying up kit from the last few incidents, plus another local team member attended. Fortunately, the HM Coastguard S92 helicopter was able to winch the casualty and deliver them safely to Sheffield for onward care at the Northern General Hospital.