Three incidents over the weekend for Buxton Team

On Saturday 1st April, whilst providing safety cover, alongside Derby M.R.T., for the classic Four Inns fifty mile fell-walk, Buxton Mountain Rescue Team was alerted to an incident on the Chapel Gate Track in the Edale Valley.

A nineteen year old female competitor was reported to have suffered a seizure whilst climbing the track towards Rushop Edge. Unsure of the exact location of the incident, ten members of Buxton MRT were initially dispatched to the scene, some climbing from the Edale Valley whilst others made their way down from the top. A group from Derby MRT including a team doctor was also sent from the Walk Control point in Chapel en le Frith.

Following examination by team members, and later the doctor, the lady was carried down to the roadside where her friends and companions were able to look after her.

During the final stages of this incident a walker reported to the BMRT Control Vehicle in Edale that her friend had suffered a fall whilst descending The Sledge Track into Edale village. The casualty was reported to have possibly dislocated her shoulder and, despite great pain, was slowly continuing her descent towards Edale with friends.

Buxton Mountain Rescue Team attempted free up a few members from the Chapel Gate call to go to the assistance of the lady on the Sledge Track.  In the fifteen minutes it took to get a team vehicle back on its way towards Edale the lady presented herself to the Team Control in Edale.  The casualty was a 53 year old lady from Milton Keynes on a short holiday in the Peak and was totally unrelated to the ongoing Four Inns Walk.

Following examination initially by team members and later by a Derby M.R.T. doctor, the casualty was suspected to have suffered a fracture of the humerus and was dispatched to a Stockport hospital in an East Midlands ambulance for treatment.

On the evening of Sunday 2nd of April Buxton Mountain Rescue Team was called alongside two appliances from Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service and the East Midlands Ambulance Service to an incident adjacent to Buxton Road in Whaley Bridge.

A local 48 year-old man had entered woodlands in the dark and had stumbled and fallen some ten metres down a steep embankment suffering what was feared to be significant injuries.   The casualty was treated on site by the ambulance crew before he was lifted by means of a rope system to the top of the hill in a joint effort between fire crew and M.R. members.  He was then carried a short distance to the waiting ambulance for onward carriage to hospital.