Two more callouts for Buxton Team

Buxton Mountain Rescue Team was called-out at 5.20 pm on Wednesday 7th June following a report to police of an injured walker on the southern end of Kinder Scout.

Twenty-three members responded to the call rendezvousing near to Upper Booth in the Edale Valley.   A twenty year old lady from Sheffield had slipped on the descent from Swines Back and suffered an ankle injury.  She had bravely tried to walk on but the pain stopped her progressing more than a few metres.

Team members climbed to the location with medical equipment and a stretcher.  Her injury was assessed by team casualty carers before being splinted ready for the carry back to the valley.  The seriousness of the injury could not be determined so, erring on the side of caution, it was treated as a fracture.   The lady was carried by rescue stretcher down Jacob's Ladder and through to Lee House Farm.  There she was transferred into a team vehicle for the short drive to Upper Booth.  Owing to the unavailability of an ambulance at the current time private arrangements were made for family to convey her to hospital for further assessment.

The Team was also called in the late afternoon of Saturday 10th June following a report to police of three young people trapped beneath a dry waterfall in Ravensdale near Cressbrook.

Nineteen team members responded quickly to the call rendezvousing at the tiny hamlet of Ravensdale Cottages.  The Duke of Edinburgh's Award bronze expedition party of six from an Oldham school were walking from Eyam towards Haddon Hall when the incident occurred. They should have followed the path when it left the dried-up limestone river but instead they carried on along the riverbed until it disappeared down a steep gully. Three of the party descended the four metre dry waterfall but, when they realised their mistake, found that they could not climb back out again.

Team members quickly established that none of the party were in any immediate danger and one at a time guided the students safely around the craggy waterfall.  The team then concentrated on hauling their rucksacks out of the steep sided gully.  All the group were soon safe if a little wet and, following a check-over, were transported by school staff to their next campsite.

Moral:  Mountaineering advice recommends never to follow a watercourse off a hillside unless you are very familiar with the local area.   When looking down a river/stream you can never be sure that you can see all the potentially dangerous steep gullies and sudden drops which are often hidden by undergrowth and trees.