In the news

Cockermouth team rounds the year off with 3 more callouts

January 1, 2020

After an unusually quiet December, Cockermouth Mountain Rescue Team was called out four times over the Christmas period.

Firstly,at 15:24 on 20th December the Team was called to assist two males who had become benighted just below Great Gable in Windy Gap. The Team was about to start a training session in Cockermouth, so two vehicles were promptly dispatched to Black Sail hut in Ennerdale, a fast party was sent ahead with warm clothes and the casualties were located at 18:33 then escorted down the valley to their vehicles at Bowness Knott car park. The callout lasted five hours and involved twelve Team members.

Secondly, at 18:06 on 28th December. A couple were camping on High Snockrigg above Buttermere, and their tent had collapsed in the high winds. Whilst attempting to descend the mountain they had become crag fast on steep ground. A vehicle was dispatched to Newlands Hause and Team members ascended to the casualties and escorted them down to their vehicle. The callout lasted approximately two hours and involved six Team members.

Thirdly, at 16:00 on 31st December the team was called out to a 61-year-old male who had fallen and broken his arm in Windy Gap, between Pillar and Scoat Fell. The TeamnascendedntonWindy Gap from Ennerdale, at the same time three members of Duddon Mountain Rescue Team were on Pillar, and diverted to the casualty,arriving at 17:10. The casualty was treated for his injuries and packaged onto a stretcher for evacuation. Due to the location of the casualty and the difficult nature of the terrain, a helicopter was requested. Coastguard Rescue Helicopter 936 from Caernarfon was on scene by 20:13 and transported the casualty to Barrow Hospital for further treatment. The callout lasted six hours and involved 25 Team members.

The final callout of the period was received at 15:48 on 1st January. A couple had become disorientated in the cloud on top of Red Pike and were unable to descend due to failing light. They were guided down from the summit to Bleaberry Tarn over the phone, whilst a vehicle was dispatched to Buttermere. Team members ascended to meet the casualties at the tarn and escorted them back down the mountain before returning them to their vehicle. The callout lasted just under three hours and involved nine Team members.

Team Leader, Andrew McNeil, said: ‘After a quiet month the Team worked well over the Christmas period, both the Duddon Mountain Rescue Team and Coastguard Rescue 936 were of great assistance on New YearÕs Eve and helped to avoid a long difficult evacuation which would have been uncomfortable for the casualty Ð we wish him a speedy recovery.’

The Team would like to remind anyone who is planning to venture into the mountains to prepare appropriately and for all weather conditions. It is crucial to know the severity of what you are about to undertake, especially during the winter when daylight is limited. A torch, appropriate clothing, and a map and compass for navigation when required are all essential kit.